Are you eagerly diving into the world of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 only to be thwarted by persistent crashes on your Windows 10/11 PC? Fret not; we've compiled an exhaustive guide to address and rectify these issues, ensuring a seamless gaming experience.
Understanding the Causes
Modern Warfare 2 crashing can stem from various sources, disrupting your gameplay at startup, mid-match, or with perplexing error messages. Potential culprits include incorrect hardware overclocking, corrupted or missing game files, and outdated graphics card drivers. Now, let's delve into practical solutions to get you back into the action.
Fix 1: Verify System Requirements
Ensure your system meets the game's minimum requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (64-Bit)
- CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 / AMD FX-6300
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 80GB HDD space
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 / GTX 1650 / AMD Radeon HD 7950
- DirectX Version: DX11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
Fix 2: Update Your System
Keep your Windows 10/11 up to date:
- Windows 10: Right-click on the start menu icon, go to Settings, then Update and Security, and Check for updates.
- Windows 11: Right-click on the start menu icon, go to Settings, click on Windows update, and Check for updates.
Fix 3: Graphics Driver
Ensure your graphics card drivers are up to date:
Fix 4: Update DirectX
Download and install the latest version of DirectX from the .
Fix 5: Run as an Admin
Launch the game with administrator privileges:
- Right-click on cod.exe in the installation folder.
- Select "Run as administrator."
Fix 6: System Reboot
Power off your computer, wait for 60 seconds, and restart it.
Fix 7: Close Background Programs
Terminate all background programs/apps to prevent conflicts with Modern Warfare 2.
Fix 8: Unplug Devices
Disconnect unnecessary devices (headsets, controllers, etc.) as they might be causing the crashes.
Fix 9: Clear DirectX Cache
Clear the DirectX Shader cache in Windows:
- Open Disk Clean-up from the start menu.
- Select C: Drive.
- Deselect everything except DirectX Shader Cache.
- Press OK, then Delete Files.
Fix 10: Clear Cache Files
Remove NVIDIA and AMD cache files:
- For NVIDIA:
- For AMD:
Fix 11: Restart Shader Cache
Within Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2:
- Launch the game.
- Go to Settings > Graphics > Display.
- Click "Restart Shaders Optimization."
Fix 12: Overclocking Adjustment
If you've overclocked your system, revert to default settings, as overclocking can lead to crashes.
Fix 13: Profile Settings
Rename the Call of Duty folder in your Documents to troubleshoot potential profile issues.
Fix 14: Verify Game Files
For Steam users:
- Open Steam, find MW2 in your Library.
- Right-click, go to Properties > Local files > "Verify integrity of game files."
For Battle.net users:
- Open Battle.net app.
- Select Games > MW2 > Settings cog > Scan and Repair > Begin Scan.
Fix 15: Reinstall the Game
If issues persist, uninstall and reinstall the game, considering a different hard drive.
Implementing these comprehensive solutions should resolve the vexing Modern Warfare 2 crashing issues on your PC. Now, dive back into the intense gaming experience, leaving those glitches and crashes behind. If you found this guide helpful, explore our other gaming guides for additional insights. Enjoy conquering the virtual battlefield!